Under section 78 of the Education Act (2002) Lanercost Church of England Primary School is required to promote the spiritual, moral, mental and physical development of pupils and to promote fundamental British values as part of our school curriculum.
At Lanercost Church of England Primary School we recognize that we are part of a multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing society in the United Kingdom and are dedicated to serving our community. Our Governing Body and Staff understand the vital role we have in ensuring that individuals or groups within our school are not exposed to intimidation or radicalization by anyone wishing to unduly, or illegally, influence them. By following the equal opportunities guidance we ensure that there will be no discrimination against any individual or group, regardless of faith, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, financial or political status, or similar.
At Lanercost Church of England Primary School we are committed to preparing pupils for their future lives beyond the formal, examined curriculum and ensuring that we promote and reinforce British values to all of our pupils.
British Values form part of our school way of life; they are taught in a variety ways across several curriculum areas as well as through collective worship.
We aim that our children will:
- Understand the democratic process and how citizens can have a say in decision making.
- Accept that people who hold different religious beliefs should be tolerated and not be discriminated against.
- Recognise the advantages to living under the rule of law and how law is essential for a safe society.
- Know why freedom of religion protects all faiths, as well as those with no faith.
- See that there is a separation of power and why it exists.
- Understand the reasons for accountability of institutions and why courts maintain independence.
- Value the importance of identifying and combating extremism.
Lanercost Church of England Primary School is not required to promote or teach any particular belief, view or way of life that contradicts our outlook or ethos; however, we will not promote discrimination, or accept intolerance against people or groups, on the basis of their belief, opinion or background.